Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Box of Spring

I found these beautiful red blossoms at the florist's and rushed them home to paint their portrait.  They had an interesting name and I saved the little description of them but, alas, it has been filed away beyond my reach.  However, the title, "A Box of Spring," reflects their confinement in a brown cardboard box, where they were for the duration of the painting.  I shone a spotlight on them and tried to show how wonderfully the cool of the light and the warm shadows of the box played with each other.  They are in a little fishbowl that used to have Siamese Fighting Fish in it, but now it holds these symbols of peace.

2 comments:

  1. Are they Lenten Roses? I've only heard of them from Southern painters, so I looked them up and they look like this! This is just gorgeous - I love your figures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley, I've never heard of Lenten Roses! I just looked them up they very well might be, but they were sold under the official botanical name. If I find the tag, I'll send you the name. Thank you for your very kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete