Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dreaded Isaiah


Isaiah is a student of music and a bagger at the grocery store. Like most artists these days, he has to support his passion with a day job. A little modeling on the side can't hurt too much either.
Painting this portrait of Isaiah was a study in restraint.  The temptation to paint his beautiful features and his fascinating dreadlocks was almost irresistible.  However, I resisted.  What I wanted to do in this painting was to tell of Isaiah as much as I could with as little actual information as possible.  For example, almost all of his face is just the toned canvas with very little paint at all.  The scantily described dreadlocks possess only two color-values.  I am amazed at how bright our brains are to fill in information, but the same brains feel compelled to over-describe details!  The older I get, the more I appreciate brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment