Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Beach Hut

 The same day that we painted the Siblings Seaside, I got to paint the Beach Hut down on the boardwalk in the afternoon. We painted the kids in the surf while it was morning, then once the light changed completely, we went out to lunch at a gumbo bar on the strand (awesome).
Afterwards, everyone had to scatter, but since it's such a long drive for me, I decided to stay and try to wrest another painting out of the day! This happy couple of buildings must be part of the same club: The Beach Hut. It's billed as "The Only Bar on the Beach in Galveston" and had a sand volleyball court and everything. For most of my painting, there were kids playing volleyball and they were going to be part of the painting. I really loved the way the ball looked when it was against the sky, and the kids in their bright bathing suits; I thought it would give the painting some action. You can see the yellow lines where I was going to plant it: see, at the foot of the stairs? But by the time I got to that part, they were on the balcony drinking some brewskies, so I painted that instead. 
The woman inspecting the work in progress was parked behind me in a giant U-Haul truck, en route from Florida to California. She and her mom had an irresistible urge to stop by Galveston on the way and spend the afternoon at the beach. I love that about a beach. It calls you to just slow down or stop for awhile and relax.  

No comments:

Post a Comment