Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Go Figure

I promised you I'd cover the Clayton Beck workshop and all I learned there. This was my favorite: paint small, quick studies working up from the darkest light and the lightest dark on the model. It required the most strict concentration and restraint on my part but it forced my brain to actually understand some things that it only thought it understood until now. These flanking paintings were the most successful, in my opinion. The more detail I added in these paintings, the weaker they got and the less I liked them. Food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    You are inspiring to paint portraits. After the holidays it is one of my new years top things to do. Your work is outstanding.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joan, I look forward to seeing what you do. I've made great strides in my art by following through on new year's resolutions.
    My best to you, Kim.

    ReplyDelete