Thursday, March 4, 2010

Contrabando Mission

Well, I've already pretty much told you about this scene in the previous post but there are some things that I haven't told you.
For instance, sometimes when you see my plein air paintings, you might see scratches and teeth marks on the ends or some odd circles in the corners. Have you ever wondered about that?
In the last post, you can see me attaching a device to the bottom of the painting. It's a clamp to hold wet paintings, and it holds them with sharp teeth, which leave marks.
The corner marks are from little sticky felt pads that I use for my panels when I travel: I stack them about 6 at a time with wax paper in between, then bind them with masking tape and stick them in a bag. They can then be carried right in my suitcase, even wet! Once they're framed, all the road scars are hidden forever and it stays just our little secret.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim I really like your paintings. Did I miss the rest of the "Lone Ranger" story? Thanks for your process notes too, using wax paper sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Thank you so much for your response.
    Yes, the wax paper solved the schmutz problem that I had with wet paintings touching :)
    I have another painting to go with the Little Lone Ranger (yet unfinished) and now I shall move it to a closer burner, just for you.

    ReplyDelete