Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Angel of Bethesda

This is my first right-handed painting in so long.
It fulfilled my dream to paint in NYC's Central Park. I was so blessed to be with my good friend, Bob, who planned the trip, who led me to the fountain, and whose gear I used. He completely set me up, making sure the easel was waist-height so I could keep my elbow at my side, then adjusting everything just so. It was a complete joy.
Here are some things that have special meaning to me. This angel was sculpted by Emma Stebbins in 1868. She was the first woman to be commissioned for a major work of art in NYC. I'm honored to record another woman artist's contribution.
More important, symbolically, this is the Angel of Bethesda, spoken of in the Gospel of John (5:1-9), who, tradition said, would stir the waters in the Pool of Bethesda and bring healing to whomever would enter the water first. This was my first right-handed painting after a time of inability and I was moved to tears and had to sit for a moment when I realized that I was being healed as I painted it. The angel herself is extending her right hand in blessing.
I extend this painting to you, with my right hand, and hope that it's a blessing for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment