Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Follies and Foibles

I have a painting that I'm getting ready to sell and several paintings that are being prepared for a big solo show that I have coming up toward the end of the year, so I've been varnishing. I learned from Daniel Greene that the best and safest place to do that is in the bathroom. It can be closed off, there's a vent and probably a window, it can be made lint-free by removing the towels, rugs and curtains, and if you lay the paintings across the tub, there is total ventilation all around the painting as it dries.
I have been varnishing like this for many years without incident but today, disaster struck:

There were 3 paintings in there drying and when I went in to check on them, I was shocked and chagrined to see debris covering the paintings! Somehow (still a mystery), a large quantity of I-don't-know-what, including dead wasps, was spontaneously dumped from the vent on to the paintings. I am very thankful that the varnish was all but dry and I'm almost certain that I will be able to remove it from the paintings. Follies and foibles!
 
I will post a blog on varnishing in the not-too-distant future, and one on tubing your own paint. These are skills that are not really covered anywhere that I can find, so I have had to learn them in The School of Hard Knocks. I now feel totally free to share these kinds of things with you, not being locked in to the smaller mission of my past blog. The "old" blog tried to be very brief and to stick to one thing, directly related to a painting or a show, with very little comment. I know I scared some of you with my "Rededication" post, because I got lots of emails! I left the impression that perhaps I was going to retire from painting and take up preaching, which I am neither qualified nor inclined to do! I just wanted to break out of the tight little blog template and be free to share all kinds of things with you.

Finally, an administrative note. I believe I've received all of your emails but I know for sure I've not seen comments. We've readjusted some settings in hopes of making commenting easier, so if you want others to hear you here, leave a comment below. And subscribers, instead of being delivered to your inbox at 5 p.m., PYJ will now arrive in the morning, between 7 and 9.

Now, I'm off to the attic to see if I can find out how the vent "vented" on my paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment