Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sisters Teach a Lesson

While I was in Wyoming, I had the wonderful opportunity to have had a couple of "brutally honest" critiques of my painting, "Sisters" by two highly respected master painters and I'd like to share the lesson, as it was very instructive.
One said that it was a wonderful painting, complimenting the brushwork, design and etc. The other wanted to see the shadow area painted in, judging it too dark and attention-grabbing. He also thought the black frame against the painting was too sudden and "closed in."
I have painted over the original painting, filling in the shadow, adding some touches to the sisters, and painting a lighter border around the inside of the frame. I do think that the changes have improved the feeling of Sisters, making it lighter and airier feeling. It more matches my own feelings when I look at the little figurines.
My take-aways: 1. Always be open to honest criticism of your work and willing to change. My goal should never be to be right; it should always be to be my best.
2. Everyone sees things differently and that's okay. I really like that one of the masters liked Sisters as it was. But I acted on the negative critique.
3. The frame is part of the painting.
I hope you like the changes made to Sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment